The Daily Daisy

Welcome to the blogspot for Yanna Conway. I have a vision and passion to see women of God walk in a deep love relationship with Jesus Christ. Come in for a visit!

Friday, February 09, 2007

Dive in!

I started swimming lessons when I was four. I was fearless they tell me. I have so many childhood memories of me and the water. Getting badge after badge at each progressive level....front crawl, back stroke, butterfly, diving stances.

I remember water parks with crazy winding slides, high diving boards I did flips off of,searching for pennies for hours on the blue bottom. Remember hand stands under water and seeing how far you could go before capsizing?

One year I remember specifically, our family was on vacation at a lake in Northern Saskatchewan. The water would not be considered even remotely warm, trust me! My sister and I were not deterred by this or hindered in any way. The bathing suits went on and the running off the teetering dock began. Over and over again into the frigid water. We were crazy! The rocks were slimy, the seaweed swayed with the current and brushed against our legs, convincing us we were swimming with a school of fish. It was an adventure and we were part of it.

I wouldn't say I'm afraid of the water now. It just seems more like a hassle than an adventure. I think I'm getting old! I love to watch the boys in our pool or at the beach on the boogie boards. Even though I'm sitting there on my towel refusing to go in, I'm thinking how much fun it would be to not care....to get a boogie board and ride the waves in. I still remember that I love to swim:) And maybe this year I'll take a risk and do something I haven't for a long time....I'll let you know when summer comes:)

This reminds me of freedom though and how we are encouraged by Jesus to come to Him as little children. The delight I had in falling back into a pool (the Nestea splash) is now replaced by how I look in a bathing suit. The experience of floating weightlessly is overcome by the fact that the water feels too cold.

I think in many areas of my life, the Lord is calling me back to simple freedom. I worry about so many things that I need to leave with Him. I think I have to have answers that He already has for me. The beach or the side of the pool is a safe place to be. Everything stays in place besides maybe a bit of sand in your suit. You can dip your feet in the pool to get cooled off or walk along the sandy shore and make footprints in the sand. But.....

Wouldn't it be fun to just dive in again? Imagine it. You don't care what anyone thinks. You're not thinking about cellulite or flat hair....just fun and adventure!?
It's risky, for sure. Your feet can't feel the bottom, the current might move you a bit, you might suck back some salt water, but you are freely swimming and loving every minute of it.

I'm really trying to tell you to take a risk:) Whatever you're wavering over...your toes are just at the edge of the diving board and you're wondering if a belly flop will be the result of your jump. I think not. Take a leap, point those toes as you dive in and enjoy the swim. There is freedom in the deep end.

1 Comments:

  • At 2/09/2007 6:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Inspiring to be sure! Your blogs minister to me - Gosh, I hope that's not a sign...I mean after all - your subtitle says I have a vision for women... Well, as you would know for sure :) I am not a woman (Prrrr!!!) .. but in all seriousness, your thoughts bring such encouragement to my busy world.

    Thank you! I love you!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home