The Daily Daisy

Welcome to the blogspot for Yanna Conway. I have a vision and passion to see women of God walk in a deep love relationship with Jesus Christ. Come in for a visit!

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Eyes on the Game

The game of choice at our house is basketball. From October til April, every Saturday, you'll find our family on the sidelines at three different games, cheering on the blue and the gold. I am partial to my sons, of course, but they really are pretty good. My mother buttons are generally popping those Saturday mornings!

One game I remember in particular, a son who will remain nameless, was struggling. I noticed he was fumbling, avoiding passes, giving the ball away very quickly and failing to take even simple shots. I wanted to call out to him..."wake up" because he literally seemed to be sleeping on the court. Everyone has off games but this was more...something was wrong.

It dawned on me suddenly that two things were stealing his focus. His brother, who is on the same team, was having an incredible game. The more the crowd cheered for his sibling, the greater his holding back became. I knew he was comparing every move to his brother's "skill level" and performance in this particular game. His eyes were on his own shortcomings and his brother's success....not the basket, the game plan or teamwork.

Also that day, several visitors appeared in the crowd who had specifically come to cheer on our two boys. Our senior pastor, his son and friend had arrived just after the first whistle blew. This son was so aware of wanting to do well in the eyes of our friends that he completely lost his focus. The more this happened the more his game was off.

My heart went out to him as I realized I have done this same thing so many times in my own life. Decided that my giftings were not as valuable as my fellow sisters in Chirst. And in holding back in this game of life and focusing on myself, an edge is lost. My eyes focus on what I am unable to do instead of what the Master has truly called me to. I pass assignments off to others quickly, I won't step up to the task because my concern is with me...I forget what the game plan is. I am forgetting the truth that I must keep my eyes fixed on Jesus. He is the Author of my faith and the Finisher of it too.

It can also be so easy to worry about pleasing people and appearing successful in their eyes. We long for the approval of those around us. It makes us feel valued and worthy if they applaud our efforts and accomplishments. But the truth is we will never please all of the people all of the time. So we might as well keep our eyes on the One who the game is all about....give Him glory when you get a swoosh, pass the ball to a team member when it's their moment to score and hey, enjoy the game while you're at it!

2 Comments:

  • At 9/19/2006 12:13 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    It's really late at night, but I wanted to say....this speaks to my heart. God is revealing this to us because He wants us to shine for Him like never before.

     
  • At 9/25/2006 3:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yanna, I loved the one of Connor & the train, maybe because I knew Connor,(what a darlin)As usual my daughter You never cease to amaze me. Keep up the good work.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home